Sunday 30 October 2011

Breastfeeding

So when I was pregnant there was the decision of how I was going to feed my baby. I had been adament from the start that I was going to breastfeed, however, Alot of family members and some friends tried to disuade me!

I stuck to my guns and decided I knew best! - Mum's do!

The first feed went brilliantly. He latched on straight away and was guzzling away within seconds. The second feed went just as well but then the paedatrician decided Little Man needed to spend the night in the special care baby unit as he was grunting and blue around the mouth. That first night was horrendous without my little boy. I had told the midwives I wanted to breastfeed and asked for a pump to use so my son wouldn't starve overnight. Nothing came out with the pump and I waited all night for someone to show me how to express with my hands so I could feed my son.

The next day, I went down to see my boy down in SCBU but he was asleep so I didn't get chance to feed him. I was worried he was hungry as I had specifically asked for them not to give him a bottle. The nurse in charge then came bragging that he had had a full bottle - I was gutted! And when he came back to be with me he wouldn't latch on. I sat and cried. I felt like everyone was against my decisions to feed my son how I wanted to. It wasnt until my mum came up and showed me different positions so he could latch on that he finally did (I was so grateful).

Everything was great until Little Man was around five weeks old. I was moody, upset, didn't want to cuddle the baby as he always wanted feeding! I had hot red patches on my boobs and they murdered!!!!

I got dragged down to the doctors where I was diagnosed with mastitis! The relief the antibiotics mixed with cabbage leaves and hot flannels brought was immense! Within a week I had got through it and was making up for being a moody cow with extra cuddles with my little man.

Apart from the mastitis, I didn't have any other problems with breastfeeding - other than the inlaws being dead against it. It was obvious from before Taylor was born that they wouldn't support me. It got so bad that i was called allsorts of vile and vicious names - which almost made me stop. And i'm so glad i didn't give up. Watching my Little baby thrive and grow on just what i was feeding him from my body was enough alone to outweigh all the negativity I was receiving.

I started uni when Taylor was exactly a year old. He self weaned at 13.5 months due to me not being there as much for him to feed, his milk was replaced with cows milk and it gradually came so he didn't ask for "booby" again. It was a sad time really. I felt my baby was all grown up. I was and still am so proud of myself for feeding for over a year. I urge anyone whose wanting to try it to give it a go. You will surprise yourself! It's one of the best things a mum can do for her child - I know I can do it, and will definately feed my future children myself.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, I have awarded you with the Liebster blog Award! Read more about it here http://thatsthebabygame.blogspot.com/2011/11/liebster-blog-award.html Fab blog!

    ReplyDelete