Thursday 27 October 2011

"Andy, I think I'm pregnant!?"

"Andy... I think I'm pregnant!?"

After about a minute (by the look on his face he was displaying signs of shock) he replied "don't be daft, you can't be!"

I've kinda forgotten what was said after this... to be fair it was almost midnight and I had just woken him up! - whatever was said resulted in trudging along to a 24 hour Tesco (in the rain) to purchase a variety of pregnancy tests. I was excited but nervous at the same time... What the hell would I do if I was having a baby???!!! I mean, at the time I was 18 years old and in college! AND my mum would KILL me!!!

That night I got a bit pee-on-a-stick happy! after the third negative test I thought I could see the faintest little second line, and after waking Andy up for the second time that night (he wasnt impressed about me waking him), I shoved the stick under his nose (he couldnt see the line) and had him look at it from all angles in the light, was rather disappointed when he said there was nothing there!!! - note to self, never ask Andy to look at anything! As much as I love him his eyesight is rather, erm... poor!!

I woke up the next morning with all intentions of finding out (morning wee being the strongest and all that), only to find that BOTH of the remaining tests were faulty!

A few days later, I dragged my best friend with me to find out for sure...

"Yes it's positive. But only very faint." I felt sick! I have never felt so many emotions all in one go. I was happy, ecstatic even, that I had been blessed with something so precious, but even worse was the fact I really was going to have to tell my mum...

Don't get me wrong. I love my mum to bits and wouldn't swap her for the world... but if she knew I was having a baby - my life would be over!!!!!!!!! At the time I had the typical mother/teenage daughter relationship; everything was a battle and there were constant arguements.

I kind of let her guess I was pregnant. I had been having some serious heartburn for about three weeks and she sent me off to the doctors half joking "you best not be pregnant" I nervously laughed but went off to the doctors to get signed up with a community midwife. When I came home she asked what the doctors had said... and I didnt reply... and she guessed!!! She told me she was disappointed in me and the fact I was giving up on going to college/university/becoming a nurse/midwife/buying a house/car/holidays etc etc... (not that she had asked what I intended to do in relation to college/university/becoming a nurse/midwife/buying a house/car/holidays etc etc). I felt gutted that she was disappointed but decided to let her stew it over whilst she went back to work for the afternoon. Needless to say, that evening she didnt speak to me!

Can I just add... the day after, she came home from work buzzing about some toy she had seen that she was going to buy the baby, after this conversation, all talk was "baby". I had my mum on my side - and I am so grateful for all her help and support. I love my mum more than anything and anyone (except maybe my Little Man). She's my best friend and always will be (and the arguements have stopped!). I'm so proud of her and so proud to call her my mum. And so proud my little boy has my mum as his Grandma. I LOVE YOU MUM!!

Jen xx

1 comment:

  1. Aww, it’s the parents who really are excited for their daughter’s pregnancy. They’re should accompany their daughter to a gynecologist for check-ups. You should be thankful of your mom’s support! How does your mom want her to be called by her grandchild? I call my grandma Granny Mommy… My mom said she asked for it.
    Chelsea Leis

    ReplyDelete